Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A LOT of pumpkins

My husband opened the rear door of my car and let out an exasperated, "noooo! more?", as two large pumpkins tumbled out. "Seriously? Did you spend over $100 on pumpkins this year? What gives? We have pumpkins EVERYWHERE!"
SOOO.... Love, this post is for you! The origin of our pumpkin mountain.
We had a pumpkin painting playdate!
The girls had a great time painting and sticking and gluing. The boys not so much.

Mel's

This beauty was the creation of that little one with the red curls pictured above. She is too sweet. We had a LOT of crazy and crusty pumpkins left over from that playdate.



Then, of course, we had to go pick out some more pumpkins to carve jack o lanterns!


My husband refuses to carve them with the children. The whole process grosses him out. Good thing Grandpa came for a visit.

Turns out the whole thing grosses my son out too! He stuck the ice cream scoop in one time. "Ewwww, pacusting (disgusting). NOOO more!", said T.

My daughter, on the other hand, was not disgusted at all!



Grandpa drew some scary faces for the tots to choose from.

Then came the fun part. The carving - that's my job. Normally, I just cut out the shapes that I drew on, throw a candle in and viola! But NOOOOOO, my father just gave me that look when I confessed my plan. "I guess you can slash it if you want. If you don't care how it looks, that is.", he protested. So I had to poke and scrape at various levels- all while listening to my father say, " Point the knife AWAY FROM YOU! Jennifer, BE CAREFUL! Who taught you how to use a knife?" Geez, parents with their safety and what not. It was quite an undertaking!! Seriously, hours!!


Here is a pic of my funny pumpkin upon completion. Notice no slashing, just scraping so as not to see the inside of the pumpkin. I'm sooo irritated that I didn't get a pic of my big scary pumpkin. As a result of all this messy fun, we have a LOT of pumpkins. I am now searching for a good pie recipe.











1 comment:

iMother2.0 said...

Ok. When I saw you, your kids and your dad at Target, you didn't have THAT many pumpkins!!!
I LOVE yours...no slashing :)