Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Happy Campers

Last weekend was our first family camping trip. We met Micah's good friend from TAMU, Ryan, and his crew out at Colorado Bend State Park. I was a little nervous to say the least. However, I figured if baby Micah could handle it, I could probably manage too. Baby Micah and Ryan
The kiddos had a big time playing in the dirt. Then they played in the dirt some more. A couple hours later.... more dirt.

We decided to put our suits on and hike up to some natural springs.


IT was gorgeous and FREEZING!




She thought it was so cool to be swimming with all the fish. Ryan treated us to a little science lesson about the springs and their formation. I'm thinking the kids didn't hear a word, but I found it informative!

Noah


The tots were pooped. This is what the hike back to the campsite looked like. What a sweet daddy! You don't see our friends in the pic. because they had an awesome off roading double stroller and were a good ways ahead of us - stinkers. Live and learn.


There was a path up a rocky "mountain" that backed up to our campsite. My poor children have no idea what a real mountain is. We had lots of fun exploring, climbing, and hunting for insects.

This is his tough guy pose. Notice the "most awesomest" tackle box! He's an outdoors man and is ready for his first hunting trip. Ready Papa Don?

And to think, I was worried if they would sleep or not! HA!! Of course we had both monsters in tow. You know, to scare away the bears and tigers that are prowling the TX "mountains"!




As for me, I walked away from this trip relatively unscathed. A nearly broken nose - there was a headlamp, large flying insects and frantic swatting involved. And, of course, the some 300 bug bites. When I rolled up my sleeping bag, I found that a large colony of either really huge ants or tiny spiders had been feasting on me in the night. Bug bites in the WORST of places. DO NOT FEAR, mother and father in law, I won't let that deter me. Yes, I will camp again.







2 comments:

Sara Ballard said...

Brave brave mama! Looks like everybody had a blast! I can't wait to camp with the kiddos, I am WAY to chicken to do it yet though. Glad you had a good time in spite of the bugs!

anja said...

what a fun time! we have got to go camping too..love T's fishing shots, what a man's man he is=) I am bummed I missed the tea party..i would've drunk pepper mint tea...and really dug those finger sandwiches, how fancy=)